In Conversation with John Whittingdale MP
Wednesday 30 June
At a time when the Government is considering the future of high quality public service broadcasting, we are delighted that John Whittingdale MP, Minister of State for Media and Data in the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport has agreed to speak to VLV.
The event will be chaired by VLV Chairman, Colin Browne and will be held online.
Issues for discussion include:
– The future regulation and funding of public service broadcasting in the UK
– BBC funding and governance
– The government’s announcement that it is reconsidering the privatisation of Channel 4
– The balance between the costs and benefits of being a public service broadcaster
– Prominence regulation on streaming platforms and hardware
– Whether advertising regulation should be reformed to create a more level playing field between broadcasting and online
– The regulation of online content
Previously John Whittingdale was Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport in 2015-2016, during the last Charter Review period. from 2005-2015 Mr Whittingdale was Chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport Committee of the House of Commons.
Joining instructions will be emailed to you the week before the event takes place
We are not charging a fee to attend our online events, but VLV is a charity and there is a cost even in running online events. Therefore we would appreciate a voluntary donation of at least £10 when you register for the event. No one will be excluded if they cannot afford a donation.
If you have difficulty joining the event using the internet, it will also be possible to join to listen to the audio only using a phone. Please do contact the VLV office if you need any help to access the conference by emailing email@example.com or phoning 01474 338716.
This event was originally scheduled to take place on 9th June but had to be postponed.